Pre-requisites : Prior to attending this course, you should:
· Have a PC / laptop / tablet / smart phone with built-in or external webcam.
· Installed the zoom client.
· Have Wi-Fi / high speed internet connection available.
· Receive an email with a link for you to submit a registration for webinar 1 week prior to the commencement.
· Receive an email with a link and password for you to join the webinar session after your registration is successful.
Title: SECURITY OF PAYMENT ACT: Know your rights and obligations 1st Run
The Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act (“SOPA”) was introduced in 2004 to improve cash-flow in the building and construction industry. The SOPA facilitates cash flow by introducing a process whereby parties can serve payment claims for work done or services supplied without going through a formal course process.
The SOPA Amendment Act 2018, passed by Parliament on 2 October 2018 (“Amendments”), introduces several improvements to SOPA. The Amendments are now in force.
Even with the COVID-19 situation, there is no temporary relief granted for adjudications under the SOPA. Therefore, unpaid contractors and consultants can still rely on the SOPA to seek payment for work done notwithstanding that many projects and companies are still recovering from this pandemic. At the same time, parties may also face payment claims and could be unprepared to respond to the claims.
The amendments to the SOPA expand and clarify the scope of the SOPA, amend the content required for payment claims and responses and administration details as well.
It will therefore be ideal for contractors, consultants or developers to attend the training and learn how to make claims and how to respond to claims.
This course will be delivered to you from the perspective of a lawyer who worked on the amendments to the Security of Payment Act where there will be a focus on broad legal principles that you should be mindful of in your day to day work. This will not be a run-of-the-mill traditional law course as the trainer is a former in-house counsel who has had extensive dealings and experience running workshops for non-legally trained professionals. So, come with an open mind and heart!
• Catered for Builder/Sub-con, Consultants and Developers’ representatives
• Understand the details and rationale of the amendments to the Security of Payment Act and Regulations affect you
• Gain an insight into applying these changes to your projects
• This course is for professionals who either submit a payment claim or respond to payment claims under the Security of Payment Act.
As professionals, you are often used to focusing on heading to the finish line for your projects. Post-circuit breaker, construction has re-started. Whilst facing intense pressure to meet deliverable timing and project outcomes, don’t innocently overlook the payment related duties imposed on you under the law!
1. Expanding and clarifying the scope of application of the Act
a. Prefabricated contracts
b. Terminated contracts
c. Patent errors
d. Claims for damage, loss and expense
2. Changes to payment claims/responses
a. Limitation period
b. Email service
c. Deemed date of service
d. Repeat payment claims
3. Improving the administration of the adjudication process
a. Adjudication review
b. Material prejudice
c. Setting aside
d. Estoppel mechanism
CV OF SPEAKER
Ms Sangeetha Pusphanathan was called to the Singapore Bar in 2008 (Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore) after obtaining her law degree from the National University of Singapore in 2007 and also making it to the top 20 of the bar exams. She was also awarded the F.A. Chua Prize for the best student in criminal procedure during the bar exams.
She is currently working as a data privacy lawyer for a multi-national European company. Formerly, she held the role of Deputy General Counsel and was employed with the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) where she has advised on and reviewed building control laws. In particular, she was involved in the latest round of legislative amendments to the Securtity of Payment Act. She also has private sector experience in both the petrochemical industry as well as banking and financial sector.
With her sound knowledge of local laws, she conducted annual core competency legal training workshops for 6 years straight in BCA for engineers and staff on various aspects.
In her free time, Sangeetha hosts events and forums.
Her natural vibrant personality, cheerful disposition and bevy of examples keep her workshops engaging, fun and a mark above the rest!
Please click HERE for Flyer
UTAP - APPROVED
SFC - This course is NOT SFC supported
THIS COURSE IS NOT AWARDED WIT STU POINTS
3 PDU - Confirmed
1. This is a VIRTUAL CLASSROOM LEARNING using Zoom Webinar
2. For payment via Cheque, should be made payable to "Engineers Singapore Pte Ltd" and mail to 80 Jurong East Street 21, #04-10, Devan Nair Institute For Employment and Employability, Singapore 609607
Yet to be allocated